Tuesday, May 12, 2009

12hrs of Mesa Verde - 7 & 7


So this past weekend me and the Handlebar loaded up once again for race day, this past abuse was provided by the 12 hrs of Mesa Verde outside of Cortez, Co. I had heard great things about this race which was just the motivation I needed after contracting the swine flu on the plane between Florida and North Carolina last week. Once the handlebar pulled himself together we were able to head out barely making it to Cortez with enough gas and time to pick up our race packets, typical. We rolled into a venue that looked better suited to host a FFA meeting then a bike race. The next morning we had barely enough time to have some coffee lube, the chamois, and get ready for the classic endurance race start, the Le Mond start, nothing is more entertaining then watching a bunch of people in spandex run around in carbon mtb shoes, its like a heard of cattle performing at Disney on Ice. Then the race insewed, I had to lay some wood fromth get go to get infront of the pokeys after my mall walk of a start put me at the back of the race. We hit the single track and the first lap was constant sorting, I was able to hook up with Big Gay Randy and we started to make progress. After the first lap things settled down and endurence racing started, I had a great first couple of laps then in the middle of the day, when it was nice and hot, the darkness began to creep in. I had to stop after my 6 lap and pull it together, after a couple of cokes and a shot of Athlete Octane I was able to reach into the bag of courage and bang out a 7th lap, putting me in 7th place for geared solo.
Overall I give this race 5 stars, It was extreamly well organized, had a good venue and most importantly, amazing coarse. Of all the races I have done in my time this has to be one of the best coarses I have ever ridden, the entire 16.5 mile loop was all single track! what more could you ask for. I had no idea that Cortez housed such great trails. So Much Fun! I would strongly recomond this race to anyone. Hopefully they'll have some pics up soon

No comments:

Post a Comment